Know Before You Go: Mexico

Ahhh Mexico...my old friend. I have been to Playa del Carmen and the areas around Riviera Maya many times, but I've also been to Cancun, Puerto and Nuevo Vallarta, Cozumel, Acapulco, La Paz and Veracruz. I really can't say enough wonderful things about Mexico and we have never (knock on wood) had a bad experience. However, nearly everyone I talk to in the Washington DC/Metropolitan area is leery of traveling to Mexico, and there have been travel warnings issued by the US Department of State. I think that this article sums the current situation up nicely and offers some more facts to back up the supposition. 

Here is my opinion on the matter (for what it's worth). Traveling ANYWHERE is dangerous - going to DC to watch the fireworks, staying in an upscale NYC hotel, walking down Las Ramblas in Barcelona...I could continue. If you look for it, you will find crime even in an affluent, suburban, safe county like the one I live in. If it is something that is really going to worry you and remain at the back of your mind the entire trip - then no, it's not worth it to go. If you are unsure, then all I can tell you is from my numerous visits, I have never had a single issue and Mexico is always my #1 beach vacation recommendation. So, before you go (crime aside), here are some things I think you should know.

1. For your first time - stay at a nice resort. One thing that makes Mexico stand out, aside from the amazing climate and white sand beaches, is the affordability of upscale accomodations. Because I have been to Mexico as a poor college student and as a more comfortable working woman, I can tell you that the grass is greener with age and a little bit of money. If you can afford it, splurge a little on the better hotel. Even if it means shifting your timeframe a bit one way or the other. Mexico is really affordable, so the difference between a 3 1/2 and 5 star hotel might just be a couple hundred dollars (for 2 people) for the week. Here are the things you can get at a nicer resort, that are worth it to me:
  • A lot of fresh fruit and produce
  • Top shelf liquor and more cocktail/wine/beer choices
  • Cranberry juice that is cranberry juice and not a fruit punch blend
  • Umbrellas or palapas for shade
  • Better food, more dining options and a cleaner experience overall
  • Less kids (sorry families!). I love my niece/nephew nuggies, but it's also really nice when you can relax without getting splashed by 10 simultaneous cannonballs into the pool.
  • Less drunken teenagers. You guys are lots of fun, but I luckily got that out of my system.
  • A decent gym (I know, I know)
  • A cleaner beach. In the past couple of years Mexico, and many places in the Caribbean, have suffered from algae blooms washing up on shore. I can tell you from direct experience that the nicer resorts will rake and dispose of it every morning before you wake up and make it to the beach. And yes, I know this avoids the whole larger ecological issue, but I didn't come here to be a debbie downer. At least not yet.




I know this pic is blurry - it's from 2008 when we went to Puerto Vallarta. To be honest, we rarely take ANY pictures when we're in Mexico. It's kind of nice to take a break from setting up shots but on the flip side it can be hard to show you how beautiful it is.

2. People get sick. I love Mexico so much and I wish my sister was willing to come with me but she has gotten sick the couple of times she's gone and I think it's ruined the experience for her. I have never gotten sick in Mexico, but I do know it happens. If you know me, you know it's actually kind of surprising that I haven't gotten sick. Truthfully, I think the biggest reason behind this is that I don't really drink. I might have a couple of beers and maybe a cocktail or two the entire time I'm there but other than that I stick to water and coffee. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the "food poisoning" cases in Mexico are actually just raging hangovers. Drinking aside, I do know that people get legitimately sick. Especially if you are staying in a large resort, you have to think about the scope of people that are around and being served. It's just like sending your kid to daycare - you put enough human beings in a building together and germs are going to get passed around. I think that some common sense needs to come into play when you look at staying healthy on vacation in Mexico but they are usually things you don't want to do and that is drink cautiously and eat moderately. Just try to be sensible and maybe bring some pepto or other medication with you in case you get hit with a stomach bug.



3. The people genuinely want to help you.


This bartender wanted to help us get drunk, but he also would have helped us get a taxi or make dinner reservations.

Look, I'm not one of those unrealistic tourists that think that the people that work at these resorts are happy and on vacation too and just love partying with (serving drinks to) Bud and Nancy. I know they're working, their hours are insane and they probably have to walk, bike or bus back to a home that doesn't have many of the amenities our hotel does. But, I also know that Mexico is a tourist destination and they do it well. For the most part, the people are very friendly - I live in the DC/Metropolitan area, so the fact that they aren't flicking me off for only driving 10 miles over the speed limit is already a big give in my book. But, even with my lowered expectations, I have always been impressed by the work ethic, customer service and friendliness of everyone we have dealt with from colectivo drivers, to bartenders, to airline officials.

4. It's kind of like Disney

So, Disney purists: it's nothing LIKE Disney. Don't get all up in arms on me. Disney is magical and in a category unto itself, but, Mexico is KIND OF like Disney in the sense that everything you need is right there, easily accessible and convenient. Shops, restaurants, attractions, transportation - you name it. They have everything really well coordinated so that you can make the best use of your time, and if you're not sure how to do something they will tell you. Many, many times.

You can go to historical and cultural attractions (Mexico's version of Epcot).



You can catch a ferry, catamaran, yacht or any number of water vessels to take you to different islands or coasts...kind of like the ferry service in Disney.


There's all kinds of activities like underground caves, cenotes, ziplining, evening shows, etc.

 Snorkeling is one of my favorite things to do in Cozumel.

Nearly every resort will have organized games and pool activities (like it or not). I'm not super into them, but it is an easy way to meet people and spend an afternoon.

Or you can do none of these things and just read a book on the beach the whole time. 

5. You will not find fresh fruit like this anywhere else

The first trip we ever made to Mexico was to Puerto Vallarta and I remember being amazed by these dark orange mangos I saw in a fruit stand downtown. I bought two and brought them back to our hotel and stuck them in our mini fridge. I ate one while we were there, but didn't get to the other one before we left and naievely thought I could just bring it home with me.

Not so.

So, there I was standing at the check in desk with a nice but surprised airport official telling me that no, I couldn't go through security with this giant mango in my hand. FINE.

What would any normal person do? Sit at a nearby table and eat the entire thing with your bare hands while your boyfriend wanders around pretending not to know you? No? Ok, well that's what I did. That's how good the mangos were.

To be honest, nothing I've had since has been as good as that fruit but I think it's because over time tourism has increased and we've stayed at larger resorts with a greater produce demand than the local economy can support. If, however, you can get out of the commercial area a bit and find a local fruit stand you won't be sorry.



6. You forget how beautiful it is when you get home

Whenever I'm IN Mexico, and it's like Day 6 I get to a point where it's kind of ho hum. Oh yes, another gorgeous day, in the low 80's with a minimal breeze and intermittent periods of shade. Another fresh coconut and a 3 hour nap on a beach side bed. I never mind going home, and I don't feel sad that I'm leaving. Sometimes I even look forward to it. But, when we first arrive, maybe Days 1 - 3, I always think, "You idiot, Jessica. This is amazing. Why do you keep hiking in 40°F with blustery winds when you could be laying in the sand with a pina colada?" I don't know the answer to that question, but at least I'm smart enough to go back when I get the chance.







Are you planning a trip to Mexico? Check out my idea of a perfect week in Playa del Carmen.

Comments

Popular Posts