Norway In A Carry On (Fall)

I am here today to teach you the ancient art of SPSMS.

Stop Packing So Much Shit

The first time you get your giant suitcase trapped in a French turnstile and a stream of disgruntled Parisians have to manhandle it through for you, you will realize no one cares what you're wearing.

As long as you are comfortable and have enough clean clothes, you're golden.

I never check bags anymore. Carry on all the way, baby. 18 days in Iceland? TRY ME.

So, how do you pack for 2, 3, 4 weeks in a carry on? You don't. You pack for one week and do laundry. Do a little research ahead of time and check that wherever you happen to be around day 7 - 9 has a laundromat, or your accommodations have a washing machine.

So here is everything you will need for 1+ week in Norway. This worked for me for 16 days in Aug - Sept, and would also probably be fine in spring.

Outerwear

Ok. Let me preface this by saying that unless you are in extreme conditions you can probably get by without so much outerwear. Here is the thing though, I like to be warm, dry and comfortable while I'm laughing in the face of Mother Nature. Case in point:


Having the right gear makes ALL the difference when you get stuck in a sudden downpour. The above picture was taken just as we were passing another couple, who decided to call it quits halfway up the hike. The girl was wearing jeans and a felt hat. A FELT HAT. So, if you follow these instructions exactly, you should be able to pull you a rapper, NBA player, man...at least a dude with a car.



  1. Waterproof rain shell. This one is similar.
  2. Waterproof rain pants. These ones are similar.
  3. Fleece jacket. Or you could bring a puffer coat instead, just make sure whatever you bring can fit under your rain shell. This is what I brought.
  4. Down vest. This one is similar.
  5. Running gloves. These are the exact ones I have.
  6. Waterproof, mid height hiking books. These are similar.
  7. Some kind of beanie that can cover your ears.
Note: Items 1 and 2 pack VERY small. If you are super tight on space, ditch #4 and I usually end up wearing my hiking boots (6) on the plane to save space.

Clothing

Ok, you want to look KEWT while also keeping your packing light and the BEST way I can suggest this is to cut down on your shoes. No one really cares about your shoes, I promise. Get a couple different tops, and layer with several different pieces. My rule of thumb is if I can only wear something once, it doesn't get to come.


Ideally, you want your clothes to be comfortable enough where you can entice sheep and then look matchy matchy in photographs.

I pretty much always choose the same color scheme when I shop (I can't help it), but the good thing about that is everything kind of goes together. If you stick to neutral bottoms, a neutral sweater/jacket and a couple different tops you will be able to mix and match several outfits.


  1. 2 - 3 long sleeve shirts and 1 - 2 short sleeve shirts. Try this, this or this.
  2. A loose, comfortable sweater. Wear this on the plane because it takes up space.
  3. A light denim or maybe canvas jacket. 
  4. Stretchy jeans. I love these ones.
  5. Joggers that you can wear anywhere.  
  6. A comfortable sweatshirt or hoodie. 
  7. My trusty black flats! I've worn these EVERYWHERE.
  8. A pair of sneakers for when your hiking boots are wet and you need something more than flats. You could also get a pair of waterproof sneakers and swap these out.

Activewear 

This is not the time to bust out those lululemon's that fall down but have cute mesh cutouts. Bring the tried and true athletic pieces that you go back to time and time again. Because my closet is basically athletic wear and casual clothes with a high spandex percentage, I actually have to rein myself in when it comes to this stuff. A good rule of thumb is to take 2 of everything if you're hiking 2 or more times. If you're hiking only once, don't you dare. This is also when I will step out of my greige box and bring some colorful pieces.

Ideal for sweat wicking, jump inducing and sun deflecting properties. P.S look how dirty my boots are.




  1. Any kind of quick dry, half zip or zip up. Similar to this one.
  2. I brought 2 long sleeve quick dry shirts.
  3. A short sleeve quick dry shirt.
  4. I brought two pairs of black athletic tights. I like these ones but any will obviously do.
  5. 2 comfortable sports bras. This is not the time to get fancy, just whatever feels best.
  6. A couple pairs of hiking socks. I have these ones
  7. This is just a baseball hat. 
Other

In addition to all these clothes, I also brought:
  • A pair of slipper socks - a lot of places ask you to remove your shoes, so I always come prepared.
  • One pair of pajamas
  • 2 pairs of athletic socks
  • Toiletries, etc. If you are like me and planning on staying at mid range and B&B type accommodations, make sure to pack a couple carry on sizes of shampoo/soap. Very few places provided them.
  • Refillable water bottle
  • Also, the eight things I always pack.

Comments

Popular Posts