10 Tips To Packing Your Lightest Suitcase Yet

If you're hiking, your daypack should be your carry-on. Double duty is the name of the game.

I don't want to say that I'm a pro when it comes to packing, because I'm not.

But I've made lots and lots of mistakes. I've brought 3 pairs of knee high boots to Europe. I've gotten my giant suitcase stuck in a Parisian turnstile and made everyone want to shank me. I've had Ryanair stewardesses give me the stink eye. I've done everything you're NOT supposed to do when it comes to packing light, which is why I think I can steer you in a better, more conservative direction. So, here are 10 tips that I think will help you pack your lightest suitcase yet. Because trust me, its a lot easier.

1. Cut down on shoes. This is probably the biggest tip I have for packing light. Bring the absolute bare minimum when it comes to shoes. For me this is usually a pair of hiking shoes and a pair of sneakers or comfortable flats. Repeat after me: "I do not need heels or boots. I do not need heels or boots".

2. Minimize the toiletries.
 
I need dis.

It's so easy when you're organizing your packing to just grab your toiletry or makeup kit and bring the whole thing. Don't. Go ahead and get a quart size ziploc and just stick a couple essentials in there. Here's what I usually bring when it comes to makeup/toiletries. If you're really trying to pack light you can skip the shampoo and soap and just purchase when you get to your destination.

3. Don't bring any food. Just bring enough for the airport and your flight (if you need to), but otherwise purchase whatever else you need when you arrive at your destination. Unless you have extreme diet restriction, you'll be able to find nearly anything you need, anywhere you go.

The grocery store is one of the first stops we make any place we land.

4. Don't bring your whole wallet. So maybe this is just me, but day to day I carry around a big wallet that probably weighs almost 2 pounds. It has every gift card I've ever received, cash, 6 months of receipts and probably $13 in coins. Before I go on a trip, I pull out only what I will need: my license, a couple credit cards, gift cards I know I'll use (Starbucks for the airport) and a little bit of cash. I band it all together and stick it in a little wristlet or coin purse and voila - instant space saver.

5. Never bring more than 1 week worth of clothes. When I am planning out what clothes to bring, I scan one week of my itinerary and pack per day. So, in general this is what I do:

When I'm doing a lot of hiking (Patagonia):


When I'm not doing a lot of hiking, like in France, then it looks something like this:


If you're there for more than a week, just do laundry when you need to.

6. Change up your look constructively. 


If you're worried that all your pictures will look the same because you are packing so light, then toss in a couple bright colored shirts and a scarf. Find a cute headband that can double as an ear warmer. I would rather change up my outfit with another piece that I can layer with than with an accessory that's not going to do anything for me (I'm looking at you, statement necklace and floppy hat).

7. Use the digital age to your advantage. 

50% sure I wasn't actually sleeping.

Don't bring any more electronics than you have to. I have a Kindle and an ipad - and I prefer reading on my kindle, but for trips I just use the Kindle app for ipad so I don't have to bring two handhelds. If you might have to do a couple things for work, consider getting a keyboard for your ipad and downloading software instead of bringing your laptop. Also, take the time to download any maps, travel itineraries, tips etc onto your phone or other device.

8. If it doesn't fit, you must acquit. Think you're going to lose 10 lbs somewhere over the middle of the Atlantic Ocean? Think again, my friend. If it doesn't 100% fit you, and it's not something you wear all the time at home, don't bring it.

9. DO NOT USE PACKING CUBES. Do not use space saver bags either. I know that it makes it really cute and nice to see everything portioned off into little color coordinated boxes and bags, but this is literally just more stuff you're packing for no reason. Space saver bags do NOT save space - they might suck the air from between stacks of your clothes, but guess what else does that? Your ass when you shut your suitcase and sit on it. The only thing I will use to portion my items out is either grocery bags or gallon ziploc bags because....drumroll please...I can use them for something else.

10. When in doubt, don't bring it. If you've got your basics covered: underwear, clothes, rainwear and toiletries then don't sweat the other stuff. There are so many times I am standing there, with a couple shirts in my hand telling myself that I can just squeeze them in, "just in case" and nearly every time I do, I don't end up using them.

So, next time you're packing, try these tips. That way, when the airline staff decides to weigh your carry on before you can board your plane (like they did in Argentina) you can smile smugly without worrying that you're about to get hit with a $50 checked baggage fee.

PLUS: The 8 things you're NOT packing but should and the 8 things you shouldn't.

Comments

Popular Posts