The 8 Things You Probably Aren't Packing (But Should)

I feel pretty confident in my packing abilities now and actually, I usually keep pre set "go bags" of items I frequently bring with me. Because, if you can't be in Delta Force, at least you can pretend. It did take me a couple misses to figure out what I really needed on our trips, so to help you from making the same mistakes, here are 8 items that you probably aren't packing (but should).



1. Reusable thermal (cold) bag. One that CLOSES. This is the exact one I have. This is one of the most amazing things I've started bringing with me on trips. Especially if we are somewhere that is not necessarily KNOWN for their cuisine and where we will be doing a lot of hiking and cooking (I'm looking at you, Iceland). Anything that can keep my beer cold deserves that coveted space in my carry on. Just don't pack one of those silver hot/cold bags from the grocery store. Learn from my mistake - those are useless.

2. Plastic utensils. I don't know why it took me SO long to start to pack some plastic utensils. They literally take up almost no room and I am embarrassed to admit how many times we would buy a 50 or 100 pack of plastic cutlery on site, only to throw out 75% before we headed home. Because, apparently, that's what we do.

3. Ziploc bags. This seems obvious but it really isn't, is it? How many of you bring plastic bags with you? That's what I thought. Especially if you will be making your own food this is a no brainer and a couple gallon bags come in handy for wet clothes, to organize toiletries, store open snacks etc.

4. Duct/masking tape. I will peel off several strips of tape and re-adhere them to the back of our small first aid kit (see 7). This way it takes up almost no space and can be used for sealing open bottles, temporarily repairing tears in your gear/luggage or sealing envelopes when you leave the B&B with the room key and have to mail it back at a podunk post office in the middle of nowhere that somehow did not have tape.

5. Coffee bags. Ok I knowwwww this is kind of gross of me and is really only a step up from instant coffee but while nearly every place you stay at will have a tea kettle, coffee pots are hit or miss. Especially if we are headed out on an early morning hike or drive we will fill up a smaller thermos with hot water and the coffee bags and we're set up for the day.

6. Baby powder. So, you know how some people grow up not using q-tips to clean their ears and some people only use baby wipes instead of toilet paper or vice versa? Well I grew up not using baby powder. I'm sure when I was a baby I did, but other than that we never really had it around. I don't know if it's a Spanish thing but I've started using it a lot since living with Jorge and it's something we always pack now. It's great for your shoes especially if they've gotten wet and it will quickly get sand off you and unstick rain gear. But, word to the wise: baby powder might get you stopped when you go through airport security. It only happened once and I eventually got through fine but it was a PITA. Since then we just wrap the lid with tape so none gets out and throw whatever is left out before we head home. We haven't had a problem since.

7. Small first aid kit and sewing kit. Target sells these small first aid kits in their travel section and they are a great size to travel with. I will go through and pick/choose what's in there (does anyone EVER use gauze?) and add things I think I'll need such as those small sewing kits you can get from hotels.

8. Small wash cloth. A couple years ago on a whim, I tossed in a small microfiber cloth into my suitcase, and I haven't looked back since. It has come in so handy especially when hiking, if it's raining, if I drop yogurt on my pants in the car, etc. The good thing with the microfiber cloths is you can wash them in the sink and they will usually air dry in a day.

Comments

Popular Posts